Salary: Minimum $71,000.00-$88,000.00 (Commensurate with Experience) and benefits including paid vacation, sick time, life insurance, dental, vision, medical, and retirement 401(k). Employees are not eligible for participation in the OPERS retirement system but do qualify for Public Service Loan Forgiveness. This is an exempt, at-will position.
- Handle preliminary hearings and misdemeanor cases in the Municipal Courts of Stow, Barberton, and Akron.
- Represent indigent defendants at all stages of the municipal court process including arraignments, discovery, pretrials, motions, pleas, trials, and other work integral to a criminal case.
- A Staff Attorney must be available for court at all times their assigned court is open and be available to meet and work outside the typical working hours if necessary.
- The Staff Attorney may also be assigned as a float attorney to cover multiple courts as part of a team.
- Participate in community events and meetings related to the work of the Summit Legal Defender.
- The Staff Attorney reports to the Director of the Summit Legal Defender, or to the appropriate Managing Attorney, as assigned.
- The outside practice of law is not permitted.
Experience and Skills
- Licensed to practice law in Ohio in good standing with no disciplinary incidents.
- Experience in criminal law practice at the misdemeanor or felony level, or equivalent experience in juvenile court.
- Commitment to client service and communication.
- Significant legal research, writing, and oral advocacy skills and experience.
- Excellent judgement and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and work effectively with office personnel, court personnel, prosecutors, law enforcement, probation officers, social workers, and the general public.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the issues of race, poverty, mental health, and substance abuse as they relate to the criminal justice system.
Interested candidates should send the following:
- a cover letter addressing your interest and/or experience,
- a resume
- three (3) references
- a writing sample that reflects your legal research and writing ability.
These materials should be addressed to: email@example.com
The Summit Legal Defenders’ mission is to treat every client as an individual, not the sum of their charges. We envision our work within the context of social justice and the opportunity for growth and change. Our attorneys work to offer solutions to problems and navigate the criminal justice system in partnership with the client. Our goal is to provide high-quality legal service to the indigent population of Summit County in a respectful, diligent, and responsive manner.
We are a non-profit agency established in 1974 and our main office is located in downtown Akron, Ohio, led by Director Andrea Whitaker.