A Supervising Attorney at OAD is a member of the management team and reports to the Deputy Attorney-in-Charge. You will provide guidance in appellate representation and post-conviction relief to staff attorneys using appropriate leadership models, including our “double-team” model, working from case inception to completion, and engaging in formal training and mentorship. The successful candidate has a proven track record of supporting team members in advocating for clients who have been marginalized and is energized by the opportunity to leverage that knowledge and experience for OAD’s continued success and sustainability.
What You Will Do
- Screen cases for potential issues to raise on appeal or in other post-conviction litigation;
- Supervise attorneys, including pro-bono volunteer attorneys, and law students on all aspects of client representation by conferencing issues and developing strategy;
- reviewing and revising briefs; preparing and mooting attorneys for oral argument;
- developing the attorney-client relationship by visiting incarcerated clients and communicating with them through a trauma-informed lens;
- Consciously create and enhance a diverse, inclusive, and equitable work culture that is supportive, collaborative, and affirming to clients and colleagues by training and mentoring attorneys and law students;
- providing CLE and training programs for outside defender organizations; and collaborating with leadership to devise and implement big picture organizational goals;
- Carry a small caseload consisting of direct appeals, post-conviction motions and hearings pursuant to NY CPL 440, and other post-conviction relief such as hearings to determine classification level pursuant to SORA; federal habeas corpus challenges to state court convictions; and parole proceedings and re-entry preparation.