As a Senior Staff Attorney at OAD you will report to a supervisory team but will collaborate with various Supervising Attorneys on case assignments. A Senior Staff Attorney is expected to work independently with minimal supervision. As a senior staff attorney, you will represent people who cannot afford legal representation and who have been convicted of felonies in Manhattan and the Bronx on direct appeal, as well as in post-conviction motions and/or hearings, hearings to determine classification level pursuant to the Sex Offender Registration Act (SORA), or in related litigation. You will have a proven track record of in-depth knowledge and experience with criminal cases, which will include cases with complex issues and/or large records. As senior staff attorney you will have demonstrated commitment to representing people who are indigent and convicted of crimes and be energized by the opportunity to leverage your knowledge and experience for OAD’s continued success and sustainability.
What You Will Do
- Carry a caseload consisting of direct appeals, post-conviction motions and hearings pursuant to NY CPL 440, and other post-conviction relief such as hearings to determine classification level pursuant to SORA; federal habeas corpus challenges to state court convictions; and parole proceedings and re-entry preparation.
- Develop the attorney-client relationship by visiting incarcerated clients and communicating with them through a trauma-informed lens.
- Set and meet quarterly case goals as well as adhering to organizational and administrative protocols and policies.
- Advise clients on all potential appellate options, including withdrawal of guilty pleas, where appropriate, as well as negotiating pleas or other remedies following reversal of convictions.
- Develop leadership and supervision skills by working with legal interns on all aspects of client representation by conferencing issues, developing strategy, reviewing, and revising briefs.
- Participate with all legal staff to prepare and moot for oral argument.