he Office of the Public Defender, District 24, seeks a qualified individual to investigate all areas of serious misdemeanor and felony indigent defendants’ cases that have been assigned by the courts to the Public Defender’s Office.
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Investigate serious misdemeanor and felony cases to collect information used to verify evidence or to substantiate innocence.
- Visit clients in jail to conduct initial interviews, and when indicated, consider the appropriateness of and expedition of bond reduction.
- Determine through a detailed interview what facts, opinions, or background information witnesses have that is relevant to the case and prepare a written report, and/or evaluate information with the assigned attorney.
- Photograph, measure, and draw the crime scene to scale to determine its relationship to the physical evidence.
- Arrange defense expert witnesses, review experts’ credentials, evaluate their potential effectiveness with the jury, and coordinate delivery of evidence to experts.
- Research criminal histories of defendants, witnesses, and potential jurors.
- Ensure appearance of witnesses at time of trial and assist in witness preparation.
- Assist counsel with facts of the case during trial potentially testify during trials you are assigned to investigate.
- Conduct special investigations as directed.
- Make contact with various professionals for case related information.
- Serve subpoenas.