This position is responsible for the oversight of one administrative office staff while upholding the mission of the agency “to provide high quality, professional, and effective legal representation to eligible clients, consistent with the guarantees of the constitutions of the United States and North Dakota, and applicable North Dakota statutes and rules, at reasonable cost to the community.
Our agency is committed to a vertical representation structure. You will be handling cases from initial appearance through trial, in the Northeast Judicial District and on appeals in the North Dakota Supreme Court, allowing you to gain experience in all stages of the judicial process. The Devils Lake Public Defender Office is made up of this position and one administrative assistant to offer support while you build a meaningful career as a public defender. This position will require travel to all counties in the Northeast Judicial District and may provide conflict services in other jurisdictions.
Commission on Legal Counsel for Indigents offers rewarding work and career development opportunities including:
A comprehensive benefit package including fully-paid family health insurance, an excellent retirement plan, annual and sick leave, and a variety of voluntary insurance options:
Flexible work schedule.
- Represent clients in judicial proceedings in a competent, effective and ethical manner.
- Provide representation for conflict cases in other jurisdictions as necessary which may require travel.
- Keep abreast of statutory and decisional law in areas of practice.
- Maintain license to practice laws and obtain required CLE credits.
- May assist with agency education and training programs and projects for public defenders and contract attorneys.
- Performs other duties as necessary and/or assigned by the Commission.
To apply for this position please go to www.nd.gov/careers and select Legal Counsel for Indigents from the Agency drop down to view our current listings.