AK Investigations is a team of private investigators based in Louisville, Kentucky and Nashville, Tennessee. The majority of our work is criminal defense. However, we investigate a range of matters including civil cases, deep dive background investigations, concierge-level support for high-profile clients and business/corporate vetting.
In our criminal defense work, our mission is to help people accused of any crime by tenaciously investigating their cases to give them the best outcome, no matter their position in the world. We also focus on uncovering our clients’ life histories, contextualizing and humanizing them to those who make decisions about their life and liberty. We value human dignity and equity for all those entangled in the legal system.
We are seeking a new team member who shares our passion for social justice and uncovering hidden stories. Those who have done investigative reporting, social work, work in the mental health field, or any other jobs that require interviewing, research, and writing may be well-suited for this position. Those with prior investigative reporting experience are strongly encouraged to apply. Trained interviewers and writers who know how to craft compelling stories with the raw material gleaned from hours of exhaustive interviews and details hidden in decades-old records have the skills essential to conducting the rigorous investigations necessary for securing the rights of our criminally accused clients.
The Private Investigator & Mitigation Specialist will serve two primary functions:
1. Investigate the facts and circumstances of alleged crimes and claims by gathering documentary evidence and interviewing witnesses.
2. Conduct mitigation (life history) investigation for clients facing capital punishment, LWOP, federal sentencing, and other severe punishments.
- Consult with attorneys to develop theories of the case and case strategy
- Locate and interview witnesses in person and prepare detailed reports on interviews
- Prepare and maintain witness lists, timelines, and other case documents based on ongoing investigation
- Keep orderly case file, documenting all steps of casework
- Extensive research, record collection, and organization
- Conduct background/criminal history searches via databases, social media, courthouse searches, media outlets, etc.
- Maintain contact with attorneys and investigative teams to provide regular case updates
- Serve subpoenas
- Organize and prioritize caseload, manage calendar in order to complete work in a timely manner
- Complete investigative tasks with veracity and efficiency
- Assist team members with record collection, clerical duties and other support
- Develop and maintain relationships with court clerks, records custodians and others who help our team with information gathering
- Recognize and document symptoms of mental illness
- Review and synthesize case materials, providing well-organized, clear information to attorneys
- Assist with identifying and working with experts
- Be a good steward of case funds by staying within budget and completing tasks as efficiently as possible
- Assist attorneys with trial prep and testify in court
- Be on-call during the time leading up and during the duration of trial
Compensation and Benefits:
The full-time annual base salary for this position ranges from $47,000 to $60,000 depending on experience. We offer bonuses based on hours billed beyond the minimum requirement. Benefits include options between two medical insurance plans offered at a company subsidized rate, as well as optional vision and dental insurance. After one year of employment, employees are eligible for participation in a 401k plan with up to 4% employer contribution match. We offer paid holidays and two weeks paid time off annually on an accrual system. We offer three weeks paid time off annually after three years of employment. We have time policies that allow employees to flex their time when appropriate. We offer time and partial reimbursement to attend conferences annually to obtain continuing education credits. We offer an environment where our clients are at the center of all our efforts, and we celebrate and support each other in this pursuit.
How to apply:
Please email a cover letter, resume, writing sample and references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your application will not be considered if it is not complete. Prior to hiring, candidates will be subject to a thorough background investigation.