Salary: Minimum $100,000.00-$110,000.00 (Commensurate with Experience) and benefits including paid vacation, sick time, life insurance, dental, vision, medical, and retirement 401(k). Employees are not eligible for participation in the OPERS retirement system but do qualify for Public Service Loan Forgiveness. This is an exempt, at-will position.
- Support and coach staff attorneys in the practice of law including observation, direct and indirect support, and review of legal practice.
- Handle a reduced caseload and cover courts, or act as co-counsel, when necessary.
- Manage staffing issues and attorney schedules.
- Act as point person for issues arising in multiple courthouses and work with Director and SLD management to resolve these issues in a timely and efficient manner to the benefit of our clients.
- Collaborate with SLD management to manage attorney practice, set goals, provide input on staffing, budgeting, and other planning issues.
- Collaborate with professionals in other organizations to support attorney practice.
- Occasional Saturday morning arraignments will also be required on a rotating schedule with other SLD attorneys.
- The Managing Attorney Position requires an ability to adapt to a variety of social circumstances; ability to speak and write effectively; and ability to exercise independent judgment.
- The Managing Attorney must be available for court at all times court is open and be available to meet and work outside the typical working hours if necessary.
- The Managing Attorney reports to the Director or Deputy Director of the Summit Legal Defender.
- The outside practice of law is not permitted.
Experience and Skills
- Experience in criminal law is required. More than ten years of experience is preferred. Additionally, the ideal candidate will have excellent organizational skills, and a commitment to multi-disciplinary indigent defense.
- Licensed to practice law in Ohio in good standing with no disciplinary incidents.
- Commitment to client service and communication.
- Excellent judgement and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and work effectively with office personnel, court personnel, prosecutors, law enforcement, probation officers, social workers, and the general public.
Interested candidates should send the following to email@example.com:
- a cover letter addressing your interest and/or experience,
- a resume
- three (3) references
- a writing sample that reflects your legal research and writing ability.
The Summit Legal Defenders’ mission is to treat every client as an individual, not the sum of their charges. We envision our work within the context of social justice and the opportunity for growth and change. Our attorneys work to offer solutions to problems and navigate the criminal justice system in partnership with the client. Our goal is to provide high-quality legal service to the indigent population of Summit County in a respectful, diligent, and responsive manner.
We are a non-profit agency established in 1974 and our main office is located in downtown Akron, Ohio, led by Director Andrea Whitaker.